Method of operation:
- It is recommended to execute the test in the standard atmosphere; to most standards it is 23.0 ± 1.0 °C (73.4 ± 1.8 °F) and 50 ± 2% rh.
- For the operation of the Global Standard Tester follow the instructions of the manuals, IGT information leaflet W100 and the displays accurately.
- Handle the samples carefully.
- Condition the substrate, the ink and the equipment during >6 hours in the standard atmosphere.
- Cut the substrate strips (preferable 50 x 200 mm, 3 strips per sample) and mark them with top and/or bottom side, machine and/or cross direction and a code for the type of substrate.
- Select the menu “Flexo” in the display.
- If not present on the Global Standard Tester, mount the round sector. See W100.
- If not present on the sector, mount the photopolymer on it with the double sided foam tape. See W100.
- Clean the anilox roller with velvet with ethanol.
- Place the anilox roller on the top printing disc shaft of the tester.
- Place the impression cylinder on the bottom printing disc shaft.
- For continuous working with water based and solvent based inks:
- Shake the bottle with flexo ink (water based or solvent based) well.
- Fill the cartridge with ink and mount it on the Global Standard Tester. See W100.
- For some tests only with water and solvent based inks: shake the bottle with flexo ink (water based and solvent based) well and fill a (disposable) pipette.
- For working with UV-inks: fill a (disposable) pipette.
- Degrease the doctor blade with rags with ethanol. Mount the doctor blade in the doctor blade holder. See W100.
- Slide the doctor blade holder with the blade downward and pointing to the right on the two pins of the mounting plate.
- Check the functioning of the flexo system following the instructions in the chapter “Execution”.
- If desired, set the printing speed, anilox force, printing force and the number of revolutions on the desired values. See note 1.
- Attach a test strip on the impression cylinder with a piece of tape at the beginning and at the end of the test strip.
- Select “Make print” in the display.
- Press the side buttons to move the sector into the starting position, the doctor blade holder downward and the printing disc into starting position.
- For continuous working with water or solvent based ink:
press one of the buttons 1 – 4 to apply a few drops of ink on the printing disc.
- For some prints only with waterbased ink, solvent based ink or UV drying ink:
apply some drops of ink on the printing disc with a (disposable) pipette.
- Press the side buttons to distribute the ink on the engraved anilox disc, to ink the photopolymer and to make a print.
- Press “Enter” to lift the doctor blade from the anilox roller.
- For water based inks only:
Directly take off the anilox disc from the shaft and clean it with water and a soft brush or velvet or put it directly into a tray with water and clean it later on.
- For solvent based inks only:
Take off the anilox disc from the shaft and clean it with velvet with the solvent of the ink.
- For UV-drying inks only:
- Take off the print directly from the impression cylinder, tape it on a flat strip (e.g. board) and dry it with the UV-dryer.
- Take off the anilox disc from the shaft and clean it with velvet with the cleaning solvent of the ink.
- Clean the photopolymer with rags and ethanol.
- Clean the doctor blade with rags and ethanol.
- For water and solvent based ink only:
remove the test strip from the impression cylinder and let it dry according to the type of ink.
- Measure the test result as described in the chapter “Assessment”.
- Repeat the points 1 through 16 for every strip. It is recommended to execute the test at least three times per combination of ink and substrate.
- After having finished the tests clean and store all parts as described in the manual.
- Make an accurate record of the conditions and the results of the test.
Materials / testing conditions
|02] Anilox disc, 4 engravings *)||402.227.412|
|03] Doctor blade holder||435.031.412|
|04] Doctor blade flexo||180.431.710.001|
|05] Cartridges, empty||160.200|
|06] Hoses and coupling||160.300|
|07] Impression cylinder||432.056.002.066|
|08] Printing form photopolymer, 1.7 mm||403.010.001|
|09] Compressible mounting foam tape|
|10] Sector without clamps, Φ166 mm||364.000.166|
|11] Strips of substrate to be tested, 55 x 200 mm, 3 strips per sample|
|12] (Disposable) ink pipettes|
|13] Lint free rags|
|15] Cleaning solvent of ink|